Welcome new debaters!

5:49 PM / Comments (0) / by Unknown

Ahoy there! Yeap, I do talk like this because I've been on board the boats in Malacca Strait for almost a week now. I just had my first Irrawady dolphin sighting yesterday, which was a true serendipity. Anyhow...

First of all, I would like to welcome all new members to the DEMI family (Kelab Debat dan Mahasiswa Intelektual). Now, just because you're in the debate club does not equate to being a nerd. Trust me folks, you don't have to be über smart just to know how to debate. Debating is fun, and after what I've gone through, it's always a drama with par comedy and tragedy. I hope that you will be a part of the DEMI for as long as you can, and I would also like to remind this to current English debaters that English and BM debaters are always together as a family. Please don't ruin the hopes of your existing seniors who made sure that this is true.

Now, allow me to introduce myself. I'm Azimi, or you may refer to me as Jimmy which people find it easier to know me by (as for the full name, don't ask). Hehe.. I was an English debater for DEMI from July 2005 to May 2008. I may not be as active with debate as I was before, but the skills I've learned from debating has taught me to be more efficient with my soft skills. I studied marine biology back in UMT, and I'm currently working for WWF-Malaysia on the sea turtle conservation. I never pinpoint to say which state I'm from, but I'm always proud to be Malaysian because that's what I've been telling to people when I grew up (living overseas really gives you a chance to be an ambassador as well).

If you want to learn more about debating, please don't hesitate to explore this blog. I have posted many articles in the past, and doing so helps me to keep in touch with current UMT debaters due to my situation with work. I have a limited time to write this post, so pardon me for not putting up the suggested links I would recommend you to visit.

Well that's all from me, and again, I welcome all new members of DEMI, whether as BM or English, researcher or debater. Take the time as well to thank yourselves for making the initiative to learn the art of debating as I can guarantee you the benefits you will gain out of it. Last of all, I would like to remind current and existing members to cooperate with one another to avoid unnecessary conflict, to manage DEMI more efficiently, and of course, to always have fun (remember, DEMI is not just a club, but also a family). Until then, all the best of luck with your studies.

Welcome to DEMI!

0 comments: